Shiji ReviewPro has just released the latest Global Hotel Review Benchmark report for 2022. This report analyzes six million reviews of over 7,500 hotels, posted to 66 review sources from virtually every country and territory in the world, more than 20 million mentions in review comments, plus almost four million management responses.
The full report is available for download here.
What follows are some key takeaways from the report. As hospitality professionals reflect on 2022, it’s clear that the industry made a significant recovery from the pandemic. Despite the challenges of rising costs and a labor shortage, many hotels were able to return to full occupancy and achieve even higher ADR than in 2019. However, guest experience suffered, with the Global Review Index decreasing from both 2019 and 2021.
With borders and travel opening up, review volume increased, but it still did not reach 2019 levels. The OTA landscape also changed, with Booking.com emerging as the dominant source of reviews, generating 41.8% of all reviews in 2022. However, reviews from this source were more negative than other sources, with a higher proportion of negative mentions.
One positive trend was that hotels responded to more reviews than ever before, although response times were still a challenge, particularly for negative reviews. In terms of review content, guests had positive sentiments about experience, staff, and service, while negative sentiment was often associated with room, cleanliness, and the establishment.
Overall, the hospitality industry made a significant recovery in 2022, but there are still areas for improvement in terms of guest experience and response to reviews. It’s important for hospitality professionals to take note of these trends and strive to continue improving in the coming years.
- 2022 saw a return to full occupancy for many and ADR that was even above that of 2019
- Booking.com generated an incredible 41.8% of all reviews
- Hotels responded to an impressive 61.9% of reviews in 2022
The report includes:
- A high-level summary of key review metrics
- A detailed analysis of review data at the global level and for five geographic regions.
- Insights & Strategies: here we draw from key metrics in the report to share our recommendations for improving online reputation in 2023.
- Expert Insights: you will find observations and recommendations from leaders in hospitality.
- Detailed review data